Over and over again we have heard it preached what we OUGHT to do as Christian parents to have great kids. Unfortunately even though the AMENS are loud and the dresses are long, many don’t put into practice one of the easiest and simplest things to do to make sure your kids serve God. What am I talking about? Family devotions.
Family devotions is the time you sit together as a family to pray and read the Bible together. This can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on how busy or tired you are but it is one of the most important aspects of parenting that you can easily do consistently!
Steps to successful family devotions
- Be consistent. Have your devotions every day at about the same time. We have ours before we send the kids to bed. It makes a sweet special time for all of us together at the end of a busy day.
- Have fun. Family devotions is supposed to be fun.
- Read the Bible. When the kids are little a simple story from a children’s Bible story book, some kids songs, and a prayer will suffice. As the kids get older, try reading a chapter each evening.
- Sing songs. Since we have 7 kids, each child has a day assigned to them that they get to choose which song to sing.
- Pray. Have the children take turns praying. Include prayer requests for missionaries and church members. Teach them to be compassionate about others by praying for them.
That’s it! Be consistent, have fun, read the Bible, sing, and pray. If you can do those 5 things, your kids will be THAT much more likely to live and serve the Lord.